Azure Automation delivers a cloud-based automation and configuration service that provides consistent management across your Azure and non-Azure environments. It consists of process automation, update management, and configuration features. Azure Automation provides complete control during deployment, operations, and decommissioning of workloads and resources. It can automate frequent, time-consuming, and error-prone cloud management tasks. This automation helps you focus on work that adds business value.
Azure Automation manages across the lifecycle of your infrastructure and applications. Transfer knowledge into the system on how the organization delivers and maintains workloads. Author in common languages like PowerShell, desired state configuration, Python, and graphical runbooks. Common scenarios for Automation:
- Build / Deploy resources: Deploy VMs across a hybrid environment using Runbooks and Azure Resource Manager templates. Integrate into development tools like Jenkins and Azure DevOps.
- Configure VMs: Assess and configure Windows and Linux machines with the desired configuration for the infrastructure and application.
- Monitor: Identify changes on machines that are causing issues and remediate or escalate to management systems.
- Protect: Quarantine VM if security alert is raised. Set in-guest requirements.
- Govern: Set up role-based access control for teams. Recover unused resources.